Murray To Mountains Rail Trail
The Murray to Mountains rail trails are located in North Eastern Victoria (250 km from Melbourne) and consist of 3 sections with a total distance of 116 km.
The trails are generally well-developed with all surfaces being sealed and most sections are quite flat with the exception of Everton Station to Beechworth.
You can take a long-weekend or more to explore many of the fabulous towns, eateries & wineries along the way or tackle smaller sections of the trail on a day-trip.
There are 3 sections:
1. Wangaratta to Bright (and Beechworth) is 97 km in length. It has moderate grades between Wangaratta and Bright and a significant grade from Everton up to historic Beechworth. The trail follows the picturesque Ovens Valley and has beautiful views of Mt Buffalo. This section includes a 16 km diversion to Beechworth (with a climb) so if you just want to ride from Bright to Wangaratta (which is mostly flat) it is approx 65 km which is achievable for most in a day. Short side trips on this section of the trail include: Eldorado, Milawa, Lake Buffalo, Mt Buffalo, Stanley and Wandiligong.
2. Rutherglen to Wahgunyah is 9 km in length. The trail traverses this famous wine producing area and is basically flat, ending on the Murray River.
3. Wangaratta to Oxley is 9 km in length. The trail traverses farmland and is basically flat as it heads towards the gourmet region of Milawa.
- Drop in to Gapsted winery for lunch & some great wine
- End the day in Bright at the Bright Brewery for some tasty brews and dinner
For more information about the rail trail visit RailTrails.org
Gapsted Wines is located near Myrtleford in Victoria’s High Country and is an award-winning winery producing premium cool climate wines from the King and Alpine Valleys. They produce wine varieties including Fiano and Saperavi, as well as classic styles such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Chardonnay. This is a great pit-stop for those on the Great Victorian Rail Trail between Read more...
Bright Brewery has become an incredibly successful brewery in the Australian High Country. Located in the main street of Bright, overlooking the river, Bright Brewery is an ideal destination for a beer and a meal after a work-out on the bike. Relax with a full flavoured craft beer, either outside on the Hop Terrace looking over the riverside parkland or Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- e-MTB hard-tail
- Hard-Tail MTBs
- e-Recreational Bikes
- Recreation Bikes
- e-Road Bikes
- Road Bikes
- Kids Bikes
- Tandem Bikes
- Baby Trailers